Monday, November 12, 2012

November 11

Today is Veteran's Day so the schools are closed.  I worked in two different schools last week.  I taught at a school near Lincoln Park.  Here I worked in two small groups to help them with reading and writing.  Then I was to work with another class but there were at ballet lessons.  They were not graceful, yet.  Then I worked in a second grade class with a boy who can't remember his letters.  He was much better remembering his numbers.

On Thursday I worked at a Middle school for a special education teacher but found myself in regular classrooms.  They wanted me to sub for the regular ed teachers so they could go to a meeting about how to encourage their students to learn.  I had close to 50 students in each PE class.  They had free play so they just hung out, jumped rope, kicked the balls around.  Then I went to a class in social studies.  I was able to get most of the class on task for fourth period but at sixth period I was in shock.  They would not listen; they just talked over me.  I had candy to hand out for completed work but even that was not a motivator.  I wrote the answers so they could just copy but even that was too much effort for them.  This made me aware that if you don't have good classroom management in place, a sub's job is very difficult.

I tutored one student this week.  We watched one Kahn video to go over the distributive property.  It was good but we also had cubes on the table to simulate what the video was saying.  I felt it was helpful.  We also reviewed negative numbers.  We went over the material on the quiz for Friday so I thought she was well prepared.  When I am working with a student I don't notice the time.  Suddenly her parents were back to pick her up.

I am working on the graphic design for Point Loma Tutor.  We have:
 the web page - www.pointlomatutor.com
Email - marty@pointlomatutor.com
Phone number - 619-356-0827

Now I just need to earn money subbing to pay my graphic designer and then work on a marketing plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment