Friday, October 26, 2012

Middle School Math

On Wednesday night, I agreed to sub for a special education teacher, mild moderate at Pershing Middle School.  This school is out east on the 8 and north on the 125.  I get there and sign in and try to become familiar with the sub plans.  The school secretary finds me and asks if I can sub for a math teacher.  I said sure.  On the way to the class, I met the math teacher who had to go home for a sick child.  They were benchmark testing all day.

The class was very well behaved. As she was leaving she said 5th and 6th period are very noisy.  I then had the 6th graders arrive for the test and they were fine.  Third period I needed to go back to the special ed teachers room to control a class for advising.  The vice principal was in there and set a good tone for the class.  The students worked on their homework.  I had 4th period free where I wrote notes to both teachers and alphabetized the tests.  I had lunch in the teachers lounge where they talked about 3 weeks of furlough days.  These teachers had two preps a day.  They have time to work together but the down side is they have 36 students in a class.  There is no room to move around.

My 5th period class arrived (right after lunch) and could not contain themselves in line.  I was quite, I yelled, I walked up and down the line.  They could care less.  They were quite so I brought them in.  The talking, moving, disrespect continued.  After I passed out the test, I said be quite or you can take you test in the office.  They thought that was a great idea.  I sent one after another to the office.  After four left, the test coordinator arrived and just told off the students.  They wasted about 15 minutes of their test time.  She said this test will count on your grade and she will call parents to tell them what their student had been up to.  She had a scowl on her face.  The students complied.  I don't know how to look really mean.

During 6th period the test coordinator and the team teacher came into the room.  They continued to notify the students to be quite and take the test.  The team teacher took 14 students back to her room for the test.  After this the students were very well behaved and worked hard on their benchmark test.
The secretary had asked if I would work for a 6th grade math teacher for all of next week.  I said I already had something on my schedule.  I had to be at work at 7 am.  It was great getting out at 2:20 but I was still too tired to work after returning home.

I am sure being an educational consultant is the right field for me.  I want to visit the school for autistic children in Ocean Beach.  I can't wait to hear from the graphic designer.  I want to start advertising my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment